CINE HOLA WHEN: Monday, June 22
WHERE: CASA HOLA; THE EMPORIUM CENTER FOR ARTS & CULTURE
100 S GAY ST. KNOXVILLE, TN 37902
TIME: Doors open at 6:30 p.m.; Movie starts at 7:00 p.m.
FREE for members; Donations accepted from non-members
TITLE: Live-in Maid (Argentina 2004) WITH A FACILITATED DISCUSSION OF WOMEN’S PERSPECTIVES ON RELATIONSHIPS IN TIMES OF NATIONAL AND GLOBAL ECONOMIC CRISIS
Director: JORGE GAGGERO
ACADEMY AWARD NOMINATED ACTRESS: NORMA ALEANDRO
DRAMA 87 min, Spanish with Subtitles in English
WINNER OF SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL SPECIAL JURY PRIZE
“NEARLY PERFECT . . . ACHIEVES A POIGNANT, COMICAL CLARITY” A.O. SCOTT, THE NEW YORK TIMES Live-in maid, Dora, has worked for Beba for thirty years and is dutiful, but distant and reserved. When both women finally face life without each other, they soon discover that their relationship is more different than either had ever imagined.
- - - - - - - - - -
CUÁNDO: Lunes 22 de JUNIO
DÓNDE: CASA HOLA; THE EMPORIUM CENTER FOR ARTS & CULTURE
100 S GAY ST. KNOXVILLE, TN 37902
HORARIO: Se abren las puertas a las 6:30 p.m.
La película comienza a las 7:00 p.m.
GRATIS para miembros; Se aceptan donaciones de nuestro público sin membresía activa
Cama adentro (Argentina 2004)
CON UNA CONVERSACION SOBRE LA PERSPECTIVA DE LA MUJER EN TIEMPOS DE CRISIS ECONOMICA NACIONAL Y GLOBAL
Director: JORGE GAGGERO
Actriz: NORMA ALEANDRO (PROTAGONISTA DE LA HISTORIA OFICIAL, GANADORA DEL PREMIO OSCAR)
DRAMA 87 min, español con subtítulos en inglés
Premio ESPECIAL DEL JURADO DEL SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL
“CASI PERFECTA . . . CON UN DESENLACE DE UNA CLARIDAD CONMOVEDORA Y COMICA” (A.O. SCOTT, THE NEW YORK TIMES) Dora ha trabajado para Beba por treinta años de una manera diligente y reservada. Cuando ambas mujeres por fin se enfrentan a la vida solas, la una sin la otra, descubren una relación que nunca habían imaginado.
- Pot-luck reception June 12 for “Los Mutilados” hosted by Comité Popular and Highlander at the Highlander; details to follow. Do not miss this opportunity to meet these amazing men from Honduras on their journey to Washington to bring attention to the thousands or people like them who get mutilated, or die riding “La Bestia”, the train they take with much risk to reach the US seeking asylum from the poverty and hardship in their county in Honduras. http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/article22448301.html
- RAM (Remote Area Medical) FREE physicals, dental and vision clinic: June 13 and 14 Loudon High School 1039 Mulberry St, Loudon, TN. More Spanish speaking volunteers needed. Info: 865-579-1530.
- Lonsdale International Food and Crafts Market Saturday June 13, 2015 from 11 AM to 4 PM at the Lonsdale Park next to the Lonsdale Elementary, 1317 Louisiana Ave, Knoxville 37921. Delicious home-made food from many countries. Antojitos, soul food, desserts. Non-profit community tables are invited, and sponsors for children and adult fun activities. Check it out on Facebook: Lonsdale International Market. The July 11th Market will be a Festival with more activities, music and fun.
- Harbours Gate Keep Our Kids in School Initiative June 20, 2015 5-8 PM 4th Annual “Inner City Got Voice” talent competition. Performances begin at 6 PM, with Laurel Wright American Idol finalist. At Montgomery Village Athletic Fields. Prices, hot dogs. For more info contact Tom Garner at email@example.com
-Centro Hispano’s Latino Awards August 1st at the Convention Center. Dinner and dancing to live band, silent auction. Details at centrohispanotn.org.
- Alcoholic Anonymous local Hispanic Group. Meetings Monday through Friday from 7-9 PM at 3722 Old Knoxville Hwy, Rockford, TN. Contact numbers for participating members for more information: 865-416-9073, 865-963-8581, 615-533-922, 865-314-3846
- Government site with videos in Spanish of scenes with actors playing the roles of victims and government employee impostors, to make people aware of fraud scams that are going on. http://www.consumidor.ftc.gov/destacado/destacado-s0031-fotonovelas
- Article: Obama doubles down on immigration commitment, but these families say it won’t come soon enough.
- Greater Area Knoxville Compact visit http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/greater-knoxville-area-compact/ petition.
- Affordable Care Act (ACA), also called Obamacare. Site in Spanish and number \. https://www.cuidadodesalud.gov/es/ 1-866-672-1979. Carl Wheeler <firstname.lastname@example.org> local volunteer with the Tennessee Health Care Campaign (THCC)
- Children Special Services (CSS). TN Dept. of Health Div. of Maternal & Child Health., coordinated thru local Health Depts., in 95 counties, provides resources for medical and non-medical services. - Local Regional Offices in Knoxville: Kristy Pedrero (865) 549-5244. - Knox Co. Health Dept. Knoxville (865) 215-5190
- DREAMers. 25 million have been donated to assist highly motivated DREAMers with grants over the next decade so they can go to college. it acts similarly to a PELL grant. See full article about The Dream.US movement. http://thedream.us/news/release/20140204-press-release/
- RAM for Hispanics. Sherra Robinson from Western Dental is leading the project to have a dental and medical clinic for Hispanics in Knoxville. Target date is March 2015. Contact email@example.com
- The Justice Department Files Lawsuit to Stop Tennessee Man from Preparing Tax Returns in Nashville
- Alcoholic Anonymous groups in Spanish. La Casita 1019 Grove St., Loudon County, TN 37774. Meets from 4 – 6 PM on the 1st Sunday of each month. Amigos de Bill - 3722 Old Knoxville Highway, Rockford, TN 37853. Meets from 7-9:00 PM Monday-Friday. Visit http://www.etiaa.org, for a list of all the AA groups in East TN, and to call to verify if active.
- Autism Society East TN (ASA-ETC) is recruiting new board members; parents, teachers, autism professionals, and community members with special skill sets (especially marketing, financial and legal expertise). For more information, visit www.asaetc.org to view their "Calendar" Page” and newsletter, and to give your support.
--Blount County Library in Maryville offers computer courses. Contact Joan VanSickle Sloan for this and community events information. Office (865) 273-1408 Library (865) 982-0981 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Website: www.blountlibrary.org
--Boy Scouts Fall Family Camp 10/12-10/14, Anthony.Ingram@Scouting.org Chehote CHAMPIONS District. 865-566-0644 / (F) 865-212-0093
- Camino Seguro. Disability Path Finder Resources, a statewide, multilingual disability information clearinghouse in English: http://www.familypathfinder.org Resources in Spanish: http://www.caminoseguro.org 1211 21st Ave South, Ste 539 Medical Arts Building Nashville, TN 37212 615-479-9568 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
--Centro HISPANO 2455 Sutherland Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37919, free information and referrals. Literacy: “Plaza Comunitaria” GED preparation, and English classes Monday-Thursday from 6 to 8 PM. Monthly “Conversation Table” Call (865) 522-0052 for information and other workshop dates. Visit www.centrohispanotn.org
- ETCRWG (East Tennessee Civil Rights Working Group) meets at the Beck Cultural Exchange Center, 1927 Dandridge Ave, Knoxville. (For info, Roxanne West, FBI Special Agent 865 851-6237, 865-602--7086) Next meeting: June 25th
-- Our Daily Bread of TN. Food program funded by the USDA provides reimbursement to child care centers for up to three meals per day per child. They are now offering this same program to after school programs. Please visit their website www.ourdailybreadoftn.org or call Senta Hester, Executive Director at 865-938-6328. Per Sherra Robinson
-Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of East TN. Contact Rosa Mar, CEO. email@example.com for information and event dates.
--Catholic Charities Office of Immigration 865-971-3550. Call for individual appointments and info. Andrea Johnson, director firstname.lastname@example.org. Alessandra Ceccareli email@example.com
--JOBS WITH JUSTICE of East Tennessee and Interfaith Worker Justice of East Tennessee. Contact: Fran Ansley (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- KAPPI Knox Adolescents Pregnancy Prevention Initiative. For information, and to support KAPPI visit www.mybodymyfuture.com, Or call 865-556-8336 or 865-963-9277 They are making efforts to reach the Hispanic community with this program.
-- Knox County Health Department. 865-215-5546. Liliana Burbano, email@example.com. For Newsletter, and other programs at KCHD 140 Dameron Ave., Knoxville, TN 37917.
- K-Town Youth Empowerment Network/ TN Voices for Children. Mental health services. Cultural Linguistic Competency Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact them to participate in their community outreach meetings.
- TN Voices for Children campaign for donations: Give. Share. Change the World. Visit http://everyonegives.org/index.html to make the donation tree grow.Voices for Children email@example.com, (615) 269-7751
--Legal Aid of East Tennessee, Mercedes Strollo, Hispanic Outreach Coordinator. 502 S. Gay St., Ste 404, Knoxville, TN 37902, call (865) 637-0484 Ext 1524, www.laet.org to bring legal education workshops to your organization.. English and Spanish fliers. Johnson City, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Morristown, Maryville.
-- NOTARIOS -- Reporting of unauthorized law practice by “NOTARIOS”, and consumer report fraud; contact the Federal Trade Commission; English or Spanish to 1-877-382-4357, or on line at www.ftc.gov/complaint - BEWARE OF TAX PREPARER. Report fraudulent activity to the Federal Trade Commission. www.ftc.gov 1-877-438-4338.
--The East Tennessee Racial Healing and Equity Project. For info, contact at firstname.lastname@example.org
-The Tennessee Taxpayer Project, a Low Income Taxpayer Clinic of Legal Aid Society Of Middle Tennessee and The Cumberlands. Paula Trujillo. 226 Broadway, Oak Ridge, TN 37830. Toll Free-1-800-483-8454- 1-866-481-3669. For brochures and information: http://www.las.org/
-- TIRRC Tennessee Immigrant and Refugee Rights Coalition (TIRRC), http://www.tnimmigrant.org/ facebook.com/tnimmigrant Please consider making a tax-deductible contribution to support TIRRC's work. - http://www.cvent.com/events/migration-policy-and-advocacy-in-2013-and-beyond-new-challenges-and-new-opportunities/event-summary. Immigration Reform updates.
-- Deferred Action for Children Arrivals (DACA) information; contact TIRRC, or Catholic Charities in Knoxville. ONLY immigration attorneys and BIA accredited representatives, as in Catholic Charities, can provide legal advice and representation on the application forms to USCIS. BEWARE OF UNQUALIFIED INDIVIDUALS, AND “NOTARIOS”.
--Western Heights Dental Community Outreach. Holds the Annual “Healthy Kids Rock” Back to School Wellness and Health Fair . Contact Sherra Robinson for more information about events and programs, 865/522-1244 x14, email@example.com.
--YWCA visit their web site for Newsletter and schedule of programs, work shops, and job opportunities: ywcaknox.com - For the Hispanic Domestic Violence Support Group, contact Jennyfer Gomez at firstname.lastname@example.org 865-215-6804.
-- Health care for immigrants; Tennessee Justice Center in Nashville, Susanne Bennett (615) 255-0331, ext. 221 (877) 608-1009, ext. 221 (toll-free) email@example.com, www.tnjustice.org . Brochures in English and Spanish.
--Comcast internet for a low rate of $9.95 for families with children on free or reduced lunch. For “Internet Essentials”, including program eligibility criteria, please visit www.internetessentials.com <http://www.internetessentials.com/> or www.internetbasico.com <http://www.internetbasico.com/.