DIA DE LOS MUERTOS * CONTESTS 2014
During First Friday about 1000 people come to the Emporium Center to enjoy the art and cultural celebrations shown there. November 7, 2014, we will showcase our traditional celebration of Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead), with an Altar/Ofrenda Contest, pan de muerto, hot chocolate, sugar skull decoration, face painting and a thematic Costume/Make-up contest.
CALL FOR ARTISTS
HoLa Hora Latina and the Office of Hispanic Ministry of the Diocese of Knoxville are sponsoring an exhibit of Altars/Ofrendas Contest commemorating el Día de los Muertos at the Emporium Center, Knoxville (100 S Gay St). Contest winners will be selected during First Friday, November 7.
In addition, we are requesting plastic art and ceramic pieces about el Día de los Muertos, for an exhibit during the month of November. These works should be priced, if available for sale. A commission will go to Arts and Cultural Alliance and HoLa.
Deadline for proposal submissions: OCTOBER 15, 2014
Altars/Ofrendas set up, delivery of art work: NOVEMBER 2, 2014 after 3:30 PM
CONTEST: November 7, 2014, 5 to 8 PM
PRICES: 1st Price: $250; 2nd Price: $150; 3rd Price: $100
All participants will receive a free HOLA membership for 1 year.
ALTAR CONTEST RULES
Altars that do not adhere to the following rules will be disqualified. Please read carefully.
· There are only up to 10 spaces available. Submit your proposal early.
· Altars must be original, they cannot have been submitted to previous contests
· Participants need to register by October 15
· Altar dimensions must not exceed 6 feet by 6 feet by 6 feet
· Judging elements: different levels and symbols; pictures of the loved deceased one(s); skulls/Calaveras; food; candles; flowers; favorite objects; altar description
· Battery operated candles are OK, but wax candles cannot be lit
· Imitation foods and silk flowers are allowed. If you prefer using live flowers and plants, please bring them on November 7, by 5 PM. Please bring plastic covers to protect wooden floor
· Describe well your altar, including if you will need to attach objects to the wall
· Altars will be photographed at 5 PM on Friday, as the final decorated entries for the contest
· Winning altars will remain for the entire month
· Judges will include public vote on First Friday, winners to be announced at 8:30 PM